I love talking about accessibility and user experience, especially when I’m teaching (and learning) about the topic.
Update November 2020: I’m currently working through updating this list after a long period of neglect, so bear with me…
Past speaking engagements:
- DevUX, as part of Øredev 2016, Malmö, SWE, Nov 7-8 2016. Talk: Learning from People: Exploring the Problem Space
- Edinburgh UX meet up, SCO, August 23rd, 2016. Talk: One no, many yeses: sharing responsibility for accessibility.
- UX Scotland, Edinburgh, SCO, June 2016. Talk: Dealing with (ir)responsibility for accessibility in UX.
- UX Alive, Istanbul, TUR, May 2016. With Sarah Horton: Workshop, Accessible UX Design Studio.
- W4A, Montreal, CAN, April 2016. Talk: Masterplanning the Digital Campus to Support Learners with Disabilities
- UX in the City, Oxford, ENG, April 2016. Talk: Dealing with (ir)responsibility for accessibility in UX.
- CSUN 2016, San Diego, USA, March 2016:
- With Sarah Horton and Henny Swan: pre-conference workshop, Accessible UX Design Studio (Tuesday March 22).
- With Monica Reha and Sarah Horton: talk, Accessibility Research Study: Humanising the need for Inclusive Design (Wed March 23rd)
- With Sarah Horton: talk, Designing for People (Thu March 24th)
- Øredev, Malmö, SWE, Nov 2015. With Sarah Horton: Talk, Accessibility as a Driver for Quality; Talk, We can Create—Extending Accessibility to Content Authoring Tools.
- HighEd Web, Milwaukee, USA, Oct 2015. With Sarah Horton: Workshop, Moving Toward Organizational Maturity in Digital Accessibility.
- WebVisions Barcelona, ESP, July 2015. With Sarah Horton: Workshop, Designing for People; and talk: Accessibility as a Driver for User Experience.
- UX Scotland, Edinburgh, SCO, June 2015. Workshop: Using a Manifesto for Accessible User Experience as a Vehicle for Change.
- UX Lausanne, SUI, June 2015. With Sarah Horton: Workshop, Accessible User Experience Design Studio; and talk: Empathy, Education and Excellence in Inclusive Design.
- UXPA UK Global Accessibility Awareness Day, London, ENG, May 2015. Talk, Accessibility—A Core Quality and a Shared Responsibility.
- ID24 2015, online, May 2015. Talk, What’s Going On In The Accessibility Research World? Conversations From The Field.
- W4A 2015, Florence, ITA, May 2015. With Sarah Horton and Henny Swan: Talk, Complementing Standards by Demonstrating Commitment and Progress.
- IHC 2014, Foz do Iguaçu, BRA, October 2014. With Sarah Horton: Keynote Talk,
AccessibilityDesigning for People.
- IDRAC 2014, Second Life, October 2014. Discussion: From Checkpoint Accessibility to Inclusive User Experience.
- A11yToronto, Toronto, CAN, September 2014. With Sarah Horton: Talk, Joining Accessibility and User Experience for Accessible UX.
- WebVisions Chicago, Chicago, USA, September 2014. With Sarah Horton: Talk, Joining Accessibility and User Experience for Accessible UX.
- UXPA Conference, London, ENG, July 2014. With Sarah Horton and Léonie Watson: Workshop, Developing a Manifesto for Accessible User Experience.
- UX Scotland 2014, Edinburgh, SCO, June 2014. Workshop, Design Thinking for Accessible User Experiences.
- AccessU 2014, Austin, USA, May 2014:
- Talk, Creating Accessible Online Learning Experiences
- Workshop, Adopting a Universal Design Approach for Accessible User Experience
- A11yBoston, Boston, USA, May 2014:
- Talk, Developing a Global Digital Accessibility Policy—What’s going on Around the World?
- With Sarah Horton: Talk, Creating Accessible Online Learning Experiences.
- W4A 2014, Seoul, KOR, April 2014. With Sarah Horton: Talk, Global Considerations in Creating an Organizational Web Accessibility Policy.
- Cambridge Usability Group, ENG, March 2014. With Sarah Horton: Talk, Designing Accessibility.
- Cambridge Workshop on Universal Access and Assistive Technology (CWUAAT), Cambridge University, ENG, March 2014. With Sarah Horton: Talk, Accessibility in Practice—A Process-Driven Approach to Accessibility.
- Accessing Higher Ground 2013, Denver, USA, November 2013. Keynote talk: Teaching Universal Design – the Dundee Approach.
For more information:
- My Slideshare presentations – slides from a range of talks I’ve given over the years;
- My Lanyrd profile – past events attended and upcoming events I’ll be at.
Recent articles I’ve written or co-written include:
- Accessibility for Business and Pleasure. With Sarah Horton, published in ACM Interactions Vol XXIII Jan-Feb 2016 (requires registration). A draft of this article is available on the Paciello Group blog.
- Making Real Progress in Digital Accessibility in Higher Education. The Paciello Group Blog, February 2015.
- Why Keyboard Usability Is More Important Than You Think and Designing Better Keyboard Experiences. With Sarah Horton, for Usertesting.com, October 2014.
- Developing a Manifesto for Accessible UX. The Paciello Group Blog, August 2014.
- An Accessible Design Maturity Continuum. The Paciello Group Blog, June 2014.
- Global Considerations in Creating an Organizational Web Accessibility Policy. The Paciello Group Blog, April 2014.
- Supporting the Next Generation of Accessible Technology Developers. The Paciello Group Blog, September 2013.
- Accessible User Experience and W3C WAI. The Paciello Group Blog, June 2013.
I worked in academia for nearly 14 years, and during that time I wrote or co-wrote quite a few papers.
- My Google Scholar Page provides probably a more up-to-date record of what I’ve written than I can maintain here!
- My ORCID record;
- I wrote a PhD thesis, which was finished in 2006 (so reflects the state of web accessibility as it was then!). The title was “The effectiveness of the web accessibility audit as a motivational and educational tool in inclusive web design.” I investigated the impact of the web accessibility audit on attitudes and actions of the individuals and organisations who received the audit.
If you’d like to contact me about speaking or writing, or to ask for copies of anything I’ve written, I’m @sloandr on Twitter or email email@example.com.